http://tim-thingsastheyare.blogspot.com/ Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Goodbye, to a Very Good Man.

Yesterday I was told that Frank (http://tim-thingsastheyare.blogspot.com/2013/07/replacing-old-friend.html) had passed away.  A giant of a man, taken down by a simple, small plant.  Maybe I am wrong, but it seems to me that tobacco killed him.  Of course, there may not be enough scientific evidence for a conclusive decision, but, this is my blog, so I am going to say "I believe smoking killed the man."

But, it did more than kill him, it dragged him around for a while, it made him suffer, it humiliated him, taking little bits of his life, and leaving him to watch as it slowly took its reward.  It woke him at night, unable to breathe, terrified, and gasping.  It made him afraid, and forced him to live his last years in painful, frightening regret.  It was a monster, slowly crushing him under the weight of so many ailments that finally he lost the fight.

Frank shared his agony openly, hoping to help people avoid the tragedy he was forced to endure, and then he apologized for "whining."  His fight was an inspiration, and proof positive to all who had eyes to see of the awful dues destined to be paid for smoking.  His journal was the most powerful anti-smoking campaign imaginable, it was a personal diary of the dangers involved.

When I told my family of his death my son said "I am so glad you quit smoking."  It may have been the nicest thing he ever said to me.

So, here's to you Frank, I raise my coffee and say "tis a far better place" you go my friend, and I am happy for that.  Few people have done so much to help so many with such an awful addiction.

Thanks for all the help!



No comments:

Post a Comment