http://tim-thingsastheyare.blogspot.com/ Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Friday, April 11, 2014

Age, discovery, and what time is the next bingo tournament.

Recently, I have decided to join most of modern society in the present.  These things are more difficult for a man aging so gracelessly, and trying to act as though he were not clinging desperately to the last shreds of dignity.  You know, that is the worst part of getting older, the gradual failure of things, the slow, inexorable descent into decrepit, atrophied worthlessness.  I can live with the aches, and the grey, and the wrinkles, even facing my own mortality doesn't bother me that much, hey I had a good time.  I have a wife I adore, sons who are strong, fine young men, making me proud every day, and have lived longer than anyone would have expected given the excesses of my youth.  If people my age had one prayer for the rest of their life it would probably be something along the lines of "please God, don't make me rely on the kindness of strangers in my golden years."  That is not what we are here to talk about, though, (we will cover that more in depth in the coming blog post, "I have to do what?  I am going to get a new doctor!") we are here to discuss discovery.

I have discovered that the Columbus Metropolitan Library has an EBook program, and you can download a free reader for your iPad, and borrow "books" from the comfort of your home, or your office, or your warehouse, or where ever you have a decent WiFi connection.  And reading on a tablet is much more satisfying than I had imagined.

Further, I have discovered that iTunes Radio will find you some pretty cool stuff.  I based a station on Omar and the Howlers an electric Texas blues band with one of the coolest names I have ever heard, and while listening to that station I discovered "Mercury Blues" performed by David Lindley.  "Mercury Blues" was written in 1949, and is such a cool song that almost anybody who sings it sounds pretty darned good, and, a lot of people sang that song over the years.  But, I like the David Lindley version the best.


I liked it so much I bought it.
My friend, John, who knows about these things, told me that David Lindley made his name playing inexpensive guitars, and absolutely shredding on them, 

It has been a week of learning, and discovery.  I am exhausted, and can't wait for the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment