http://tim-thingsastheyare.blogspot.com/ Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Thursday, September 25, 2014

I don't know technology, but I know what I like

Apple has released the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 Plus (iPhone 6 +?, I'm not sure), to the joy of adoring fans, and enthusiasts everywhere.  It has been widely reported that sales have topped 10 million.  With a price tag of $649.99 that makes, let me think about this... (six times 1, move the decimal, carry the...) a lot of money, by any calculation.

Any significant release by Apple invokes Newton's Third Law, "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction."  Apple releases a new product, people line up to buy one.  Ah the joys of a peaceful prerelease camping trip in front of the store with a few hundred close friends.  

Which leads to another reaction, all of this new product inspired love, and a lack of sleep, fueled by several cups of very dark, rich, caffeinated coffee, and soon it goes from the "summer of love" to "the winter of our discontent, made glorious by the" products of Apple, Inc© and the new iPhone 6Ô and the iPhone 6 plusÔ (maybe it is the iPhone 6 +© I’m not sure).  In this chaotic scene crazed fans will run right over the top of their Grandmother to be one of the first to have one.  Of course, it is entirely possible that their Grandmother will “shank” them to get her new iPhone© first.

This leads to another reaction, the jubilant announcement of the rapidly approaching death of AppleÔ, caused by the folly of the newest release.  Everywhere you look there will be posts, and articles, and videos showing the flaws and failures of the newest iPhone©.  Comparisons will flow, criticisms will grow into a volcanic explosion of hatred, and contempt. 
And in a couple of months, when my contract expires I will get a new iPhone, probably not the Plus (+?) (they seem monstrously large), because I like the one I have now.  It is not perfect, and neither is the next one I will own, but it does everything I want easily and quickly.  And that is what I want from my stuff.





No comments:

Post a Comment