http://tim-thingsastheyare.blogspot.com/ Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Monday, May 12, 2014

It is time to accept reality, but only small bits.

It seems that some one has switched on the accelerator, and it has caused me to age at an abnormal rate.  Looking in the mirror this morning I couldn't help noticing the kindly old man watching me brush my teeth.  Poor, old gentleman, obviously lost, and now stuck in the mirror in the bathroom at our home.  I even asked my wife, "who is that old fool in our bathroom mirror?"  She sighed, and complimented me on such an accurate description.

It is very similar to "The Picture of Dorian Gray," except we are both aging, and quickly, too.  It has been said "the camera adds ten pounds," what is not so widely reported, though, is the fact that the mirror adds at least five, and possibly seven years.  One very important lesson here, don't take a picture of yourself in the mirror.  You won't like what you see.

Many aboriginal tribes feel that cameras will steal their soul, and having a photo taken is disrespectful the spiritual world.  Maybe the translation was imperfect, maybe what they were saying was something along the lines of "goodness, that photo makes me look awful, and is gradually eroding my will to live.  Thank the gods our culture has yet to discover the mirror."  You can see how that could easily be mistranslated, can't you?

But, except for a few aches and pains, and one terribly swollen, sore finger, that my doctor is going to fix right up today, and with luck it will be done lecture free,  I feel pretty good, and will be able to go on writing this blog indefinitely, (in the words of the great Bob Dylan "I got a head full of ideas that are driving me insane) as long as there no reflective surfaces around.



No comments:

Post a Comment