http://tim-thingsastheyare.blogspot.com/ Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Thursday, January 31, 2019

In Your Face, Old Man Winter,

I have been in a rut lately. It might be the polar vortex, the low pressure (or high pressure) really bends perception, or increases acuity. Plus, the cold slows blood flow, hearts labor under the increased load, trying to keep all the extremities warm and safe, And the shorter days twists all of our internal clocks into odd shapes and days seem to play on endless loops. Wake, work, eat, sleep. Over and over, trapped inside, no hope of escape.

Recently, we found the camera we use on the kayak. A cheap GoPro imitator, but it is sturdy and comes in a waterproof case. Moreover, it had the real world benefit of being cheap. Plus, it was on a clearance site so it was even cheaper. We don't get too extreme about anything, so it seemed like a good idea. And, it has been, kind of, on and off, in a way.

For one thing, we never do very much that requires an "action camera." We could probably get by with a "relaxed camera." Which doesn't make for thrilling video to begin with. And, since we are more relaxed in our pursuit of activity sometimes I can't find the camera. Then, when you aren't looking for it there it is.  Maybe it knows when you are in need of a little reminder of what warmth looks like. Or maybe I was just looking for something else and stumbled onto it. Either way, I was happy to see the little movies of kayaking. The promise of things to come.

Of course, it is not an expensive camera and it the movies are saved as AVI. This causes problems since I use an iPhone and it is not compatible, at all. You would think converting them to another format would be easy, and it might be, but it is consuming the day life. I've tried different apps on my phone, the internet, so far nothing. But, I haven't given up.

I have, lately, become obsessed with making videos. Below is my latest to announce the winner of last month's Holiday's Edition of Tim's Jukebox. It isn't much, but it is a big improvement on the previous attempts. Practice makes tolerable, right?

If you like it and want to see another one go vote, after you read my column.here. Even if you don't want to see video this month's songs will cheer you up.

To further improve my outlook my wife gave me a new pen/capacitive touch screen stylus. Just looking at it makes me happy.

So, in the words of the Grateful Dead, "nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile." Kind of like my new pen.




No comments:

Post a Comment