http://tim-thingsastheyare.blogspot.com/ Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Decisions, decisions,

Recently I wrote a post about choices, and the way they can effect every thing that happens for the rest of your life. Even simple choices can have a profound impact on your future. Everything you say, or do can alter the course of your life in ways too complicated to understand. Certainly too complex to explain. It is a mind boggling map of branching, forking roads, and each choice leads to more decisions, twisting, turning for all eternity, or at least until the last choice is made, and you can rest.

Personally, I can't take that kind of pressure. Just think, each decision leads to a different path. Even inconsequential options, what to have for dinner, which socks to wear, drink coffee, or tea, all under the crushing weight of an uncertain future. Every simple thing started to take on immense proportions. I had to get a handle on this, fast.

My first thought was the power of Tarot. Divining whether to choose the onion rings or the fried zucchini by spreading the cards, and reading the message. Seeing the future through the combinations of characters arrayed on the table. I'm sure there has to be a Tarot for Dummies. Maybe even a Tarot app.

What if, and this is possible, unlikely, but possible, the cards and my limited amount of supernatural ability allowed the deck to control the future, not just predict the best outcome of wearing the red Nebraska Cornhusker visor, or the black Louisville Cardinal visor. What if I set in motion the ultimate release of demons so hideous they make Congress look good? What if I allow the destruction of the world?

Tarot is out.

Dice was quickly eliminated when my wife threw them away at the restaurant while I was trying to decide between whole wheat and rye, after choosing between Swiss, cheddar, provolone, pepper jack or American cheese. But before we got to the lettuce, tomatoes, onions, hot peppers, and spinach. Like she didn't have an extra twenty minutes (or so) to spare to possibly alter our lives in immeasurable ways.

In the end I decided to ask Siri for the best choice. But she quit talking to me, shortly after lunch and the coffee versus tea dilemma. So, I am on my own, taking my life in my hands at every intersection, every unopened door, who knows what is waiting on the other side?  But, when my time comes I will go, screaming at the injustice, the unfairness, the all too soon end to a wonderful short existence. Or I will turn around and go the other way, I just don't know.


No comments:

Post a Comment