http://tim-thingsastheyare.blogspot.com/ Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Friday, February 9, 2018

Saturday, a road trip, and some boots.

Tomorrow is kind of big day. Besides being Saturday (Hands up for Saturday (hooray) I hear you)* we are going to venture south along US Highway 33 to the wonderful little village of Nelsonville. Nelsonville is not normally a destination, it is more of a minor, almost annoying distraction from all the trees, hills and natural beauty of Southern Ohio as you zoom past on the recently finished bypass.

Nelsonville has a lot of charm, it just isn't very big, and there are not a lot of attractions. The rustic buildings of the business district are a block east of the old highway and a mile west of the new, smooth superhighway that speeds you by the east side of town. Unless you are willing to venture off the beaten path you'll never see the wonderful, ornate brick buildings with the detailed masonry work, the flowing arches and elaborate lintels. We wouldn't have known about it had we not attended a small festival there last fall, and stumbled on the area. And, one of my nieces used to live only blocks from the area.

But, the Rocky Boot Outlet Store is there. And that is worth the drive.

I am not a young man, some people might say I am an old man. It doesn't really matter, though.  What is important is my feet, which are sore most of the time.

For years my wife said "you need to buy some boots."

"You're right," I said. But, I thought, 'I'm not dragging those heavy things around all day. It will wear me out. My legs will hurt, my feet will broil inside them, and wearing socks that far up my ankles will make me all itchy and may suffocate me.' Then I added, "you're always right, and gorgeous, too, can I make you a sandwich?"**

Last fall we went to the Moonlight At Moonville Festival by Lake Hope. Lake Hope is one of those places you are rushing toward when you hurry past Nelsonville. We decided to cruise into town and check out what was going on. A lot, actually. Nelsonville was humming with a street festival, food, people, music, everywhere. Which is when we discovered the wonderful architecture of the the business district. Walking around eating barbecue and southern comfort food.

But, we cruised through the outlet store, and I bought a pair of boots. It was amazing. All of the support, I could work all day and the pain was lessened significantly. I was in love with my new boots.

Unfortunately, my youngest son fell in love with them, too. And since I really owe both sons, and my wife, a debt I can never truly pay, it is not easy being my family, I let him wear them.

Tomorrow, though, he gets his own boots, I reclaim my boots, and possibly pickup a new pair, maybe something for summer, something that will not look so odd with jean shorts, my summer uniform.

And, there is the adventure, a road trip, a day out, all of the excitement... Man, I need to get a life, probably too late for that now. But, I do have several new and promising video apps, so look for a movie in the near future.


*Thanks to the Clash, who were ahead of their time, for "letting" me misquote them.

** Not really, I didn't really say that. But, I should have.

No comments:

Post a Comment