http://tim-thingsastheyare.blogspot.com/ Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Thursday, February 12, 2015

Exercise, Domination, and History, another Wednesday.

Yesterday work was physically demanding, lifting, carrying, moving stuff around, it was taxing.  But, it was a gym day, and since I had my clothes with me, and it normally makes me feel better, I went.  Intending to take it easy, and just work off a little workday stiffness, the treadmill seemed like a great place to start.

Starting slowly, and picking up the pace quickly, it soon became obvious that the workout would be a good one.  I pushed myself, driving my heart rate up, and maintaining it for quite a while.  Repeating this several times, I was sweaty, warm and euphoric.  

My weights on the resistance machines were the highest they have ever been, and I pushed myself to the last possible repetition.   It was exhilarating, and I felt great.  Today, I am a little sore, and stiff.  But, it is rejuvenating, I feel so good about my efforts.  If you are thinking about starting to work out, you should jump in, slowly, steadily, and knowing you will not regret it.

Last nights podcast was a repeat, "Prophet's of Doom" from Hardcore History, by Dan Carlin.  This was the podcast that kicked off my whole, unhealthy obsession with history.  Mr. Carlin is so enthusiastic about the past, it is unshakable.  This podcast is about the city of Munster, in Germany, and the events that led to the execution of several people for heresy, and sedition.  It was a pretty hideous execution.   But, the events that led to the occupation, eventual siege and capture of the city were, to me, as compelling as the events in Munster. 

This podcast explains in some detail the reasons for, and results of, the Protestant Reformation.  Dan Carlin is an expert at building tension, and a fantastic story teller who seems to love his craft.  I have listened to his entire catalog.

Looking back, the Protestant Reformation kicked over an apple cart filled with momentous events, and radical change.  Luther set off a firestorm of change that had effects that are impossible to measure, even today.  And, there are very few podcasts on the subject.  

That is the problem with history, there is so much of it.  So many things happened, and all of them probably affected the world in ways that are still felt today.  Even if you disregard the influence events had on our world there is still a lot of terribly interesting,l terrible,  things that happened in the past.  


Assyrians did not negotiate much.
That is the problem with podcasts, there aren't enough of them explaining things that happened so long ago.  Yes, there are some very good series, but there they barely scratch the surface of times past.

Take, for example, the Assyrians.  A fascinating story of a state gone from merchantry to militancy, learning the best ways to reduce resistance and encourage compliance along the way.  There are just not many good podcasts about them.  So, I have to resort to reading books, printed on paper, like an animal.  This is crazy.  What's next, cave paintings?

No comments:

Post a Comment