http://tim-thingsastheyare.blogspot.com/ Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Thursday, November 30, 2017

Are We Left With No Sense Of Decency

The other night someone in the house was flipping madly through the channels chasing something decent to watch. It is a common practice, if we had to pedal a stationary bike or run on a treadmill to change channels we might live forever. Or, we might learn to watch what was on, no matter how dull.  That is the real problem, there is not much on, not much that is different anyway. But, they stopped briefly on a show starring the comedian Tim Allen. Apparently he has a new comedy show. He made an insulting reference to Jimmy Carter. I'm not sure why, and it was not so insulting to be offensive, but, it did make think back to Jimmy Carter.

He had to be one of the most educated presidents. And certainly the most civil, humane, kind person to ever occupy the office. Look at his tireless efforts since retiring, look at the things he has sacrificed, look at the things he has done. Which, I understand, does not always make for a good president, but it should exempt you from the acerbic insults of a stand up comedian thirty five years later. But, show business is a mean sport, and ratings are king.

I remember an interview Carter gave to a well known magazine, I don't really remember which, and it doesn't really matter. He talked about how he had lusted after other women in his heart. People went crazy. They were outraged. Now, we, at least I, would be happy if they kept it in their hearts. Hell, I would settle for keeping it in their pants.

I look around and think we are worse than animals, we prey on each other for pleasure, because we can, we enjoy the subjugation of the others. As a species we have proven that we are not able to control our basest, most foul instincts. Women are weaker, they must be chattel, ours to treat how we please.

When I read, almost everyday, the newest serial groper it is another indictment against men. There is no excuse for the behavior, there is nothing to justify the crude, crass, vile demeaning treatment of another human being. There is nothing to say, no way to make it sound like anything besides sinful, criminal, obscene.

I had always hoped I would live to see the day the world lived in peace. A world of one race, humanity, the family of man. This really makes me question that dream. I miss Jimmy Carter.

No comments:

Post a Comment